What marketing and entertainment expenses can I claim as tax deductible expenses?
You can claim the following as tax deductible marketing and entertainment expenses:
- advertising in newspapers or directories [online or offline?]
- bulk mail advertising (mailshots)
- cost of providing free samples
- website costs
- staff entertaining – for example, a staff party, up to £150 per year. Directors are classed as employees for this purpose.
- providing catering during a training workshop, if you are under a contractual obligation to do so.
You can’t claim for:
- entertaining clients, suppliers, customers or professional contacts, unless it’s on a quid pro quo basis – such as buying someone lunch in exchange for them giving you the benefit of their knowledge on a specific topic for free.
- event hospitality.
Do you still have questions? Get in touch with our accounts team to find out more about how they can help you.