Welcome pack for charity trustees
The Charity Commission’s promised guidance for new trustees has now been issued.
The guidance sets out what new trustees should do immediately on taking up an appointment, and what they should aim to achieve over the following few months. By reading this publication, trustees will get a general awareness of what is expected of them and they can then follow various links to more detailed guidance.
One of the key sections in the pack is ‘Get to know your 6 main trustee duties’. At least one of the following will be relevant for any trustee decision or activity.
1. be clear that what your charity does supports its purposes and benefits the public
2. check that decisions you make are within the rules for your charity
3. ask yourself what’s best for the charity and who it helps
4. satisfy yourself that the charity’s funds, people and reputation are used sensibly and are protected from undue risk
5. be prepared. Have the information you need, in the format you need, and set aside time to read it prior to meetings
6. get your charity’s accounts and reports to the Charity Commission (and Companies House if relevant) on time. Make sure they are to the standard required, and clear about the charity’s achievements
For advice on charity governance contact Elizabeth Irvine.