SMEs support auto-enrolment
A recent survey of 900 businesses has found strong support for auto-enrolment (AE) amongst small and medium sized companies, whether they had already staged or not.
The survey, which was conducted by YouGov, showed that, of those already staged:
- 51% supported the self-employed being brought into AE;
- 51% supported lower paid workers currently outside AE being brought in;
- 70% thought AE was a good thing for their employees;
- 50% believed AE to be a good thing for their business;
- 43% supported compulsion, forcing all eligible employees to pay into a workplace pension, with no opt outs.
The research also found that over a third of companies surveyed were already paying more than the 1% minimum contribution to all employees in their workplace pension scheme. Almost half also agreed that businesses should be active in encouraging employees not to opt out.
For more information on auto-enrolment and workplace pensions please contact Susan Elsdon