Charity Annual Returns
The Charity Commission has published the 2015 Annual Return and has updated the guidance on how to prepare it.
Much of the information required is the same, or similar, to previous years returns however there are 3 new areas where information is required:
- Income received from central or local government needs to be disclosed. This covers income from contracts to deliver services to the public and also grant income. The Commission guidance includes a number of examples of the type of contract that may be relevant such as provision of:
– Sheltered housing and care for the elderly
– Support and advice for people looking for work
- The return asks for confirmation on whether certain written policies are in place. This section now includes a question on whether these include a policy on paying staff
- Charities must confirm whether or not they have reviewed their financial controls during the reporting period. The guidance suggests charities refer to CC8, the Commissions guidance on Internal Financial Controls for Charities.
The new questions are aimed at assisting the Commission in identifying risk, increasing transparency and promoting good governance within charities.
For information and advice on how this may affect your charity, please contact Elizabeth Irvine.